What’s In My Skinfood – COSMOS Natural Edition
You may have noticed a slight change in the packaging of some of your Skinfood favourites...and for good reason! We’ve been working extremely hard these past few years to bring to you, a better version of our already best selves! Introducing... Skinfood x COSMOS Natural.
What’s In My Skinfood?
In short - all of the best ingredients possible formulated together to create the most naturally effective products for your skin!
Want a little more detail?
For fifteen years, Skinfood has been at the forefront of providing made from nature skin care right here in New Zealand. Throughout those fifteen years, we have remained true to our brands ethos to bring our customers the best available ingredients from mother nature, at a pocket friendly price. Now, we are proud to announce that we have an ever-growing range of products which are COSMOS certified natural.
COSMOS is the more commonly recognised acronym for the “Cosmetic Organic and Natural Standard”, which sets global certification requirements for organic and natural cosmetics products in the cosmetic industry. The COSMOS standard is a reliable way for consumers to understand that the products they are using are true to what their packaging claims.
Having a COSMOS certification means that our COSMOS Natural approved products have undergone a rigorous, and lengthy, process to be awarded and recognised as high quality, safe to use products formulated based on the highest organic and natural standards.
Why is a COSMOS certification important to us, and why should it be important to you?
Over the years, the skin care industry as a whole has grown significantly, with no signs of slowing down. You’re no longer just wanting a moisturiser that will keep your skin hydrated, you’re after effective formulas that dive deep into your skin, working below the skin’s surface and targeting specific skin concerns. All the while wanting your skin care to be the most natural, sustainable, and environmentally friendly products possible. And we love that you want this!
The COSMOS standard helps to take the confusion out of what you purchase. The standard was established in co-operation between the five largest European certification organisations; the German BDIH, the French Ecocert & Cosmebio, the British Soil Association and the Italian ICEA, as a way to unify a more transparent understanding of regulations and standards for all natural and organic cosmetics across the board.
A little bit about the COSMOS guidelines:
To achieve COSMOS approval, each product is measured by its compliance of characteristics of a certified product. The COSMOS standard considers all parts of a product from start to finish. The product seeking COSMOS certification is assessed by the raw materials and their origins, how the product is made, and the marketing of the product to consumers. The standard considers and assesses each step in the entire chain of events to create the product as well as the communication beyond it. It is an incredibly detailed process, which ultimately gives you, our Skinfoodies, peace of mind knowing that we are creating only the best of nature, and in the best way possible.
Regarding the origin and processing of raw materials, COSMOS has 5 categories of compliance:
• Water: In any case, it must comply with the hygiene standard.
• Mineral Ingredients: original minerals or mineral ingredients modified with simple chemical processes can be used.
• Physically produced agricultural ingredients: the use of plant, animal and microbial ingredients are permitted. It is forbidden to use genetically modified plant components and raw materials from animals.
• Chemically produced agricultural ingredients: same rules apply as to the physically produced ingredients, but in this case the basic rules of green chemistry must be applied.
• Other ingredients: The standard strictly regulates the list of permitted preservatives.
Beyond the ingredients, COSMOS also looks into how the product is communicated to consumers:
• Content of the product, showing exactly how many percent of the content are natural or organic ingredients processed according to the specifications.
• Storage, processing, packaging: examining the cleanness and hygiene aspects of storage, manufacturing and packaging and the use of environmentally friendly packaging.
• Environmental impacts: taking into account the environmentally friendly nature of the product, the packaging and the manufacturing processes, minimising manufacturing waste and considering recycling.
• Labelling and communication: Labelling must be clear and should not mislead the buyer. It must include all relevant information and be presented in an easily understood manner.
As part of the COSMOS certification, each product must also comply with the regulations at all times and this is reviewed yearly in an audit performed by a COSMOS representative.
So how can you know which Skinfood products are COSMOS certified?
To find out if a Skinfood product is COSMOS certified natural look for the Ecocert logo, with the words ‘COSMOS NATURAL’ on the front of the product. The ingredient list on the products back facing will also read the following statement; COSMOS NATURAL certified by Ecocert Greenlife according to COSMOS standard. See example images below.
Ecocert is one of the 5 certification organisations that created the COSMOS standard. We present their particular logo because they are the certifying organisation that has granted the COSMOS standard to our products.
Be sure to look for our COSMOS Certified Natural Skinfood products:
Brightening Eye Serum
Hydrating Face Serum
Nourishing Hand Cream
Want to know more?
For more information about these certification bodies & their standards, please feel free to visit: